c. 1900 CE
This prayer book is written in Ethiopic Ge’ez, a South Semitic language originating in southern regions of Eritrea and the northern region of Ethiopia in the Horn of Africa. Its use spanned nearly seven centuries, arising at some point in the 4th century and falling out of use sometime during the 10th. Though now considered extinct, this language persists as a liturgical language peculiar to the Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Churches, Ethiopian and Eritrean Catholic Churches, and Beta Israel. This particular prayer book was a gift to an American missionary who entrusted it to Bible Museum on the Square.